Thursday 7 June 2007

Norway? Did someone mention Norway?

Oh yeah,it was me on the last pointless post I did,how funny.It's come to my attention that I've been back for 6 days now and I haven't actually written about my trip to Oslo in any one of my nihilistic blogs that I have dotted around the internet.So I'm going to write about it now.

Norway. Norge, Norvège, whatever. The ridiculously long country in western Scandinavia with its many islands, lakes and sexy men, is without a doubt the greatest place I’ve ever visited :) I went last year obviously, which was a great experience, mostly coz it was the first time I’d been anywhere on my own, and it was a nice little opportunity to prove to people that I’m not in fact socially inept and can do things on my own. All this, while having the greatest 3 days ever of doing…not very much, but having the pleasure of doing not very much in a very pretty place. This time though, sitting in the departure lounge of Heathrow with James, watching Cash In The Attic, presented by irritating Jennie Bond, I suddenly realised that it was bloody brave of me to go on my own last year. The thought of doing that now rather terrifies me, which isn’t particularly good news for the year abroad next year…but whatever.

The flight over there was soooo boring. Yes it was only an hour and 45 minutes, and there was the fun of the half chicken and bacon, half ploughmans sandwich to look forward to, but it was really tedious. I don’t like sitting in the same place for more than 20 minutes at the best of times, but 35,000 feet above the North Sea with just a computerised map and the boring in-flight magazine to look at, was particularly testing. At the other end though, everything soon started to be fabulous. I like Gardermoen Airport, mostly because it’s small and you can’t get lost in it. I also like it because it’s got lots of nice looking Norwegians in it, a suitable welcome to the country that’s home to the world’s most gorgeous race. The luggage came (I was a bit disturbed to see that my fabulous new pink suitcase had somehow become rather filthy on its travels from plane to baggage belt, but not that bothered), and then it was time to go and buy the Flytoget tickets. What fun!

I like the Flytoget (the airport train). It’s clean, it’s quiet, it’s comfortable. Even this year’s addition of a group of annoying American tourists didn’t irritate me too much. Although I was quite put out that they’d already been on holiday in Sweden for a month before coming to Norway. How’s that fair? I’m the European, that’s the sort of thing that I should be doing! But anyway, the Flytoget whizzed on through the Buskerud countryside (I think that’s the right county :/) and after 20 minutes of admiring the pretty little traditional red wooden houses (that’s a lot of adjectives), we were at Oslo S. Oslo S is the best train station in the world. Not only because it has 2 shopping centres attached to it, but…well, it just is. I got lost in it last year, although on reflection, that was probably more to do with my stupidity than it had to do with its actual size. Didn’t get lost this year though, no, I got the right exit first time.


That's all I'll say for now.Stay tuned for more additions to My Ridiculously Long Account of What Happened On My Second Trip To Norway :)

No comments: