Monday 25 June 2007

A fabulous musical year

Insomnia is a wonderful thing. Well, it isn’t really obviously, but it does give you the chance to think about things a lot. Such as what a fabulous year for music it’s been so far. For the simple reason that I just can’t sleep, I thought I’d share with you some of my favourite musical discoveries of 2007 so far…

January- I was rather excited on Christmas Eve when I found out that Moldova had already chosen their Eurovision song for Helsinki. And then I heard it. Afterwards I was worried that ALL the songs this year might turn out to be rubbish. But then in January, I came across this video.

Mr Koldun came into my life and alleviated my worries with the fantastic Guildford Europop anthem that is Work Your Magic. I loved it from the first time I heard it (yes, even from this awful quality video), and it soon became a massive favourite in our Bright Yellow Holiday Camp (well, with me and Keira anyway). Dima frenzy soon ensued, we set up a Facebook group stating that he must win Eurovision (in its heyday there were a whole 32 members or something), and we were (subtly) introducing Work Your Magic to everyone we knew…Fabulous. As far as I know, there wasn’t anything else worth noting that I heard in January.


February- Mmm…not much going on in February by the looks of things. However, I believe it was this month that we created our own fabulous cocktail that we call Loving Potion, which, basically, is LOTS of vodka with a few other bits thrown in :)

March- Oh yes, March. As a fan of Anžej Dežan, I was both shocked and appalled at the fact he didn’t qualify from the semis last year. Never mind Kate Ryan, yeah Je t’Adore was an alright song, but Mr Nobody…what’s not to like about a big theatrical pop ballad sung by a man with an amazing voice and the wardrobe of a camp pirate who likes to swish his cape around in the chorus? Anžej’s become something of a legend to us in the Holiday Camp, and he also wins the prize for having the coolest name in pop. Anyway, it was a rather exciting time when we discovered the 100% pure piece of happiness that is Vroče. It’s our anthem (even though neither of us speak Slovenian), and many a time we could be found in the kitchen singing away at high volume. We even- noticing the sad lack of a video on youtube, and in fact that lack of ANY Anžej videos on youtube- choreographed our own little dance to it. It’s pretty spectacular stuff. March was also the month of Drama Queen by the fabulous DQ, Cara Mia by Måns Zelmerlöw (I used to like him until someone pointed out that he actually looks rather like someone I know), Eta Bila Ljubov by Dima Bilan, King of Disco by Akcent, and the fabulous Lovepower by Krazy Mess Groovers. March then, was a rather good month : )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, you shouldnt have put the anzej video up, you know how many hours i can waste gleefully watching this video over and over and over etcetc...

Raquelita said...

Hehe,Mr Dezan is nothing short of a legend,I had to share Vroce with the world! :)

Jake said...

Mr. Nobody was a real epic and this new discovery is so melodic. Great stuff!