Sunday 14 September 2008

A note about music in Germany

On Thursday morning I found myself stuck on an Autobahn somewhere between Kiel and Husum.We were literally stuck in the same place for a good 25 minutes.It was all overcast and horrible,and all there was to do was watch the cows in the field to the right of us mating.And to make it all worse,the Lighthouse Family were on the radio.It was one of the most grim moments of my life.

Now back in the day about 5 years ago,I used to love listening to NDR2 online.But now it's my local station,I try to avoid it at all costs.It took 2 hours to get to Husum,and in that time I heard one German song.Quite a new one admittedly,and I quite like it.But Die Ärzte excepted,what they played was either a)at least 20 years out of date or b) Coldplay.And it's not just NDR either- it seems everything I hear everywhere I go is awful.If I hear Coldplay or Gabriella Cilmi one more time,I may just have to get the next flight home.

I'm just starting to despair a little bit- there are some great current German bands and singers: Revolverheld,Karpatenhund,Philipp Poisel...Even Tokio Hotel have their moments I suppose.So NDR- ditch the 80s power ballads and play them!

You can play this piece of brilliance too if you like...



Oh,and by the way- what the bloody hell is going on with Sitemeter these days?My computer can't cope with the new,pointless version apparantly so I'm going to have to look around for an alternative.I'm so sick of websites making ridiculous new changes when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the original version!Grr!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh god, is it really that bad that you'd rather 'stick to the beat'?

The radio at work is pretty strange too. It goes from HIM, Simple Plan and stuff like that to the other end of the spectrum. Everyday I heard Truly Madly Deeply, and Hello by Lionel Ritchie! I hate that song. I think we also had a bit of lighthouse family one day.

(Btw, I think we have to play US5 on the radio next year - for a laugh)