Saturday 5 January 2008

I want to go to Iceland

There seems to be an ongoing conflict in my musical brain.As much as I like to listen to music from Europe's more obscure places,it's generally Russian or Scandinavian music that I like the best.Whenever I start getting excited about the Russian stuff,something Scandinavian comes along and reminds me that it's better.And vice versa.Anyway,last night while I was trying to find something decent to watch,I came across the new series of Grumpy Old Men on BBC2.This made me happy,because although I am neither old or male,I am very grumpy and love to moan about...everything really.Particularly technology,which was what this episode was about.Anyway,after this,The Culture Show was on,which is something I've never seen before,but last night it was about Sigur Rós,so I thought I'd watch it.

I can't say Sigur Rós have ever been one of my favourite bands,but I have Takk,one of the latest albums,which is ok,and a few of their older songs which I love.A lot of the time though to be honest,I think a lot of their stuff sounds pretty much the same,which is why I tend to not listen to them that much.As odd as it might seem though,from what was on this programme last night,they seem to be a band that I'd enjoy much more if I actually saw them perform live.You wouldn't think that there'd be much going on at one of their gigs,but I don't know,seeing Jónsi,the vocalist,singing one of their songs in what is essentially just a made up language,seemed to really add something to the music.It was nice.

They were also talking about the 2002 album which had no artwork,no track names and minimal lyrics sung in this made up language.It seems a lot of people thought this was all very 'pretentious' (a word that I've also heard to describe Mew,one of the greatest bands ever),but I'm not so sure.I like the idea of drawing your own conclusions and interpreting sound and nonsensical words for yourself,I think that's what good music is.Maybe I'm just turning into an indie snob,I don't know.Only real indie,not the pathetic "we're 4 guys from London who play guitar (badly) and sing supposedly witty songs to a tune that sounds exactly the same to every other band around at the minute" excuse for music that is now classed as indie.

This programme also mentioned Heima,the band's first film which was made over last summer when they held a series of unannounced shows all over Iceland,in places such as an abandoned herring oil tank.Although the original film was edited so it didn't look so much like it was made by the Icelandic Tourist Board,there are still loads of shots of the beautiful Icelandic landscape,which fit with the music very well.The presenter of this programme said both the music and the country are 'mystical,' which I think is a good description.I really want to see the whole of this film,and I also really want to go to Iceland!

I'll leave you with part of Heima- it's Olsen Olsen,my favourite Sigur Rós song,and what I think is one of my all-round favourite pieces of music ever :)

No comments: