Friday 23 January 2009

Wot I fink about da Danish National Finalz...

What with Germany being all boring and choosing internally this year,I've adopted Denmark as my new homeland for ESC purposes.It is essentially just Medway on a large scale after all.Anyway,I had a listen to all the songs and wrote stuff down as I did so...

Jeppe Breum Laursen- Lucky boy: 80s tastic. Not as great as I was expecting though. Much like Denmark itself. Being one half of Junior Senior(greatest Danish duo ever, even better than Hej Matematik!), I had high hopes for this song. It’s not bad I suppose, but it’s far from crowd-pleasing. Shame.

Hera Björk- Someday: It’s a ballad, oh wait, no it isn’t! It turns amazing after just over a minute,she had me fooled there. I’ve only listened to 2 songs so far but this so has to win- the chorus contains the phrase “work your magic”, therefore it must be brilliant :) Oh,and the key change…Glorious.Oh,wait,it's "work IT'S magic".Still...


Christina Unhjem- Underneath My Skin:
It’s a ballad, oh…yeah, it’s still a ballad after a minute. And after 2 minutes. Boo, it’s boring. Next…

Trine Jepsen- I’ll Never Fall in Love Again: Mmm,again, not what I was expecting from the title. Thought it would be another ballad, but no, it’s more of a flat dance song. Pleasant enough, but no chance. Too old skool ESC.

Sukkerchok- Det’ det: Oh we do love a bit of Danish language here at Europop Mansions Kiel branch. Not bad, I can see this at ESC. Again it’s quite 80s influenced I think. No idea what it’s about, but it really is rather good. I like the ending.

Claus Christensen- Big Bang Baby: Sebastien Tellier’s back…oh,no, it’s another dancy one. I’m loving the bridge and the chorus. Oh wow, check out the key change and that strange sound towards the end. Brilliant.


Jonny Deluxe- Sindssyg:
Oh I love this, this is more like what I was expecting from Jeppe. So upbeat you’d never believe the singer was Danish. It’s even making me dance a little bit. Ooh, break it down…will there be a big key change or something….? No…Oh well, it’s still great. This might be my new favourite.

Marie Carmen Koppel- Crying out Your Name: Oh Lord, I hate sax. This had better get going somewhere in the next 20 seconds, or I’m turning it off…It hasn’t.Fine.

Jimmy Jørgensen- Alice in the Wonderland: Yes, THE Wonderland. Oh this is interesting. Different to all the others that’s for sure. Has a lot of potential for a big stage show. Hmmm…eh up- was that a bit of a key change? Very unexpected. This really is pretty good- could be an outsider I think.


Brinck- Believe Again:
Litesound is the first thing that comes into my head. And that’s never a bad thing. Ooh, big chorus…yes, I like this one. It really does have Litesound written all over it. Would be good if it won ESC. “Dima Bilan won Eurovision in 2008 with Believe. And in 2009 it was Believe Again…” Shame it’s very un-Eurovision. It’s a really good song.

Well.It's going to be a cracking final I think.And looks like there's quite a big chance that I'll be supporting Denmark this year.Oooh...

No comments: