Tuesday 13 May 2008

WYM Eurovision Review Part 4

Spain: (20/1) From D'Nash to this...Why Spain,why?! I'm sitting in a room with lots of Spaniards at the minute,maybe I should ask them. Actually,the more I listen to this,the more it gets stuck in my head.Dangerous.
Lyrics- "José Luis dances it, he dances it very smoothly" Good to know.

Turkey: (20/1) Well it certainly makes a change from the Sertab clones they send every year.(Yeah I know Kenan was a man,but still,it was the same sort of average song).I don't mind Deli actually,I never thought I'd say that.I think rock sounds quite cool in Turkish.However,why William Hill have put it at 20/1,I have no idea,I didn't think anyone really liked it.
Lyrics- "Don't make me cry,don't waste my time with fake dreams."

Greece: (16/1) I don't get why this is such a favourite either,it's really nothing special.Then again,I thought that about My Number One as well,and it became one of my favourite ESC songs after it won.Still,I don't see that happening with Secret Combination,whether it wins or not.I think I'd rather see Dima win than this.
Lyrics- "My secret combination – it's a mystery for you,use your imagination, I'm not easy, but I'm true" Whatever that means

Ireland: (16/1) See,Silvia Night didn't go down very well in Athens at all,so I doubt Dustin will either.There's still too many people who take Eurovision seriously for him to do well.Saying that,he'll probably win.I've been watching ESC for 14 years and have never managed to choose the winner...Anyway,you've got to love the lyrics to this song...
Lyrics- "Drag acts and bad acts and Terry Wogan's wig" Love it!

Sweden: (9/1) Getting into the real favourites now.After their brief dalliance with something 'a bit different' last year,Sweden have gone back to what they do best- fabulous schlager.I wasn't too fussed about Hero to start with,probably because I wanted Brandur or BWO to win Melodifestivalen.Now though,I can't get enough of it.I love the lyrics,the key change...and of course Charlotte's fabulous outfits in the video.Any other year,and I'd probably say that this was a definite winner.It'll definitely be top 5,but I have other ideas about first place...
Lyrics- "Everything has a beginning,everything comes to an end." I love that line

Ukraine: (6/1) Ani's great,I love her,she's the ultimate in fabulous.Again,I didn't really like Shady Lady to start with,but just like last year,it seems the Kirkorov/Kavaleryan team have written another super song.Unlike Work Your Magic though,I think this will win.Ani has a hell of a voice,and combined with what we've seen of the performance so far,she's someone to be reckoned with.Oh,and her dancers are lovely too :)
Lyrics- "Since I've lived in your shade every step that I made brought me nothing but zero."

Armenia: (5/1) I like Sirusho,she seems quite sweet.Not too sure about her song though.Qele Qele seems to have been one of the favourites for ages now,but haven't we seen it all before really?It's OK,but not really winning material I don't think.
Lyrics- "You wanna be with me,you think and dream of me,come let's go,move let's go."

Serbia: (5/1) I've heard this twice (one of those times being right now),and I like it more than I did the first time.I love the dramatic music in the chorus,and the lyrics are nice,but still...can we move on from Molitva a bit now please?Saying that,I'm looking forward to seeing the final performance,I bet it'll be really good.
Lyrics- "Don't break my ice,there's no water within,don't put salt on my wound,I have no more tears."

Russia: (3/1) I don't care if he's D-D-Dima Bilan,that's no excuse for producing such a ridiculous stage show.I've got used to the violins now,in yesterday's rehearsal (which is the video in the link),it sounded really good,and there's no doubt whatsoever that Dima's vocal will be amazing on the night; Believe is a great song,but it's just all gone so over the top now that I'll be really disappointed if he wins.That seemed to be a certainty until quite recently,but now,I'm not so sure.
Lyrics- "Coz I've got something to believe in,as long as I'm breathing..."

My ideal top 5: Iceland,Switzerland,Belarus,Ukraine and Sweden (in any order really)
My predicted top 5: Ukraine,Russia,Greece,Iceland,Malta (not sure in what order,but I think Ani will win it)

No comments: