Sunday 11 May 2008

WYM Eurovision Review Part 1

When I woke up this morning,I realised that Eurovision is in fact next weekend.That's madness,it's come round so quickly.Like Europe Crazy,I can't say I've been too excited about it this year,although going to the party at the Scala did help (and switched my allegiance too...)Anyway,seeing as other bloggers have started giving their opinions on this year's songs,I thought it was time I did too.I'm doing it in reverse order of the William Hill's favourites to win the whole competition,even though I'm pretty skeptical about some of the odds they've given.

Cyprus: (150/1) Bland.I can see why they've given this a 150/1 chance of winning.In fact,it's so boring I cant't even be bothered to discuss it further.
Lyrics- "Bam and I found my way into your dreams, and I saw you coming coz I'm a goddess." :/

Moldova: (150/1) There's worse songs in the competition.There's better songs too.And what's with the woman blowing bubbles?Will she be there next week?
Lyrics- "All I need is to find a place to live in your heart.That's what I want" Yuck

Netherlands: (150/1) I like this one.But I think I'd like it more if it was representing somewhere else.I don't like it when countries think they have to use someone else's style of music to try and be successful.I know I said yesterday that good,typically Dutch music is hard to come by,but it does exist.Edsilia's song last year was great as well,she didn't feel the need to go all ethnic-y and give us something that we hear every year from the likes of Greece,Cyprus and Turkey.But anyway,it is a good song,it'll probably qualify.
Lyrics- "Your heart belongs to me,but I've got to set it free,coz we were never meant to be"

San Marino: (150/1) I've only listened to Complice twice,and I must say,I liked it more the second time,but I doubt it will really do much in Belgrade.It's completely un-Eurovision,it's not the most exciting song in the world,and the lyrics are depressing.I appreciate it will never qualify from the semis,but still,there's something about it I like.Maybe it's because it's in Italian,maybe it's because it's San Marino's first time in the contest that I feel I should like it...I don't know.
Lyrics- "Feeling you as a part of me is like having an angel sustain my every uncertain step." Poetic...

Czech Republic
: (125/1) I'm listening to it properly for the first time now,and I actually think it's pretty good.Awful lyrics,but since when has that stopped anything winning at Eurovision?Anyway,it's infinitely better than last year's Czech offering.
Lyrics- "I'm the one who shakes your clouds away whenever rainy days make you insane"

FYR Macedonia: (125/1)Typical Balkan pop.It's alright,but I doubt it'll qualify.Especially seeing as it's in the second semi along with the best songs of the contest.Extra points for the rather attractive guy in the Måns-in-the-Cara-Mia-video outfit though.
Lyrics- "Who needs a smile when my tears are so full of love inside?" Whaaaat?

Lithuania: (125/1) Oh please,is this for real or what?He does have a good voice though...
Lyrics- "Moon,I follow you in darkness,it seems we're nomads in the night." Right...

Montenegro: (125/1) This sounds like it comes from a time before I was even born,but I quite like it for some reason.I like the video too,unashamed showing-off of Montenegro.And rightly so,the Balkan region is gorgeous.I feel all nostalgic now and want to go back there...Anyway,I hope he qualifies.
Lyrics-"Sorrow is writing songs for me while tears are falling.My pillow smells like you and you're long,long gone." Aww :( That's more like it! Although I thought this was a happy song...

Belarus: (100/1)Ruslan,lovely Ruslan...how could they put you at 100/1 to win?Of course,I was one of those who was extremely annoyed that they completely changed what was already a great song (actually I didn't even want him to win the national final),but seeing him do it live the other week made me realise that it's for the best.It stands out more now than it would have done if they'd have stuck with the original discoesque version,it's more modern and funky.I do agree that it's wrong to change a song so drastically from what was originally voted the winner in the national final,but then again,it'll only be a really small percentage of Eurovision viewers who saw the original anyway.I hope these odds are completely wrong,there are far worse songs in the competition than Hasta La Vista,some of them amongst the actual favourites as well.
Lyrics- "I begged you to look in my loving eyes,but you were as cold as Arctic ice."

Croatia: (100/1) I love Schlagerprick's description of the song "Croatia have plumped for an old man mumbling Rowley Birkin Q.C. stylée".I really like it actually,very typically Balkan song with some interesting modern elements thrown in...Then again I always like Croatia's entries.Not that they ever do very well.I don't see this one changing the trend either unfortunately.
Lyrics- "Every dream is agleamed by the cold sun and the memories are almost all extinguished."

Estonia: (100/1) Oh Estonia,sort it out.How can you follow such great entries as Runaway and Eighties Coming Back with the likes of this?
Lyrics- "Potatoes,beans,onions,lobster.That's enough." Seriously...

Hungary: (100/1) Nice enough song actually,I'm pleasantly surprised.
Lyrics- "Send him to me,I don't care for how long,but it is so good waiting for him."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Decided to have a listen to Nomads in the Night. Bit of a Drew Sarich number eh? Cant tell if its supposed to be a joke, I fear its not.

Anyway, I liked the first comment on the video, not cos I agree but it made me laugh; "I wouldn't mind if he came up to me like a nomad in the night to whisper some nice tune like this in my ears" Could you imagine!

Raquelita said...

Haha,that would be quite scary.Now if it was Jonatan,I might be able to handle it :) Yeah it is a bit Drew actually- if we hadn't have discovered FZ in time,we might have ended up listening to people like him :/