Saturday 10 May 2008

Happy Europe Day Part 2

Hungary: I admit,I thought the Hungarian pop scene was probably full of people like Magdi Rúzsa,so I never really bothered exploring.However,Crystal are a really good group.I've liked everything of theirs that I've heard so far so I wasn't really sure which one of their videos to post,but I think I'll go for Repülj Tovább.


Ireland: Going to have to be a bit old-school here and go for The Corrs.Don't Say You Love Me is my favourite song of theirs,although I don't think they ever released it,so you might not know it.It's a great song,melancholy but wonderful.

Italia: It seems Perdono was huge all over Europe back in 2001.And rightly so,it's super.If Paolo does well at Eurovision this year,do you think the Swiss will go all Italian next year as well and send Tiziano?That'd be good.Anyway,he reminds me (a little bit) of Dennis Petrov in this video.Maybe it's the outfit.

Latvia: It wasn't too long ago that I was madly in love with Renārs Kaupers,but shamefully I haven't been keeping very up to date with Prāta Vētra business lately.I didn't even realise they'd done anything since Thunder Without Rain :/ Anyway,Colder is one of my favourite songs of theirs,it's very atmospheric I think.


Lithuania: Welcome by Inculto is by far the the best Lithuanian Eurovision-related song ever.Why they sent LT United to Athens,I have no idea.It's such a funny song and the video's great too.

Luxembourg: I own one Luxembourgish song,which I've heard is a cover of an Australian guy's song from 1984.It's called Love Somebody,and if you love cheesy 80s guitar pop,you should probably listen to it.

Malta: Learning Maltese in on my to-do list,I think it's a fascinating language.This is the only song in Maltese I've ever heard- it's an awful quality video,but it's Claudia Faniello singing Bajja tad-Deheb

Netherlands: Good Dutch music seems very hard to come by,I can definitely see why my Dutch cousin never listens to any.However,Wild by Monique Smit is a super pop song.She's far better than her brother :)


Poland: *Sigh*.I've really tried to like Polish music,but it's really difficult.So here's the one song I've heard that I can listen to and enjoy.Let's face it,Piasek's 2Long is the best Polish ESC song...ever,really.

Portugal: Sticking with the Eurovision theme, I loved Deixa-Me Sonhar back in 2003.Also,I didn't know until about 5 minutes ago that Rita did a duet with Ronan Keating.That's an odd couple if ever I've seen one.

Romania: I have soooo much Romanian music thanks to my lovely friend Ioana,most of it being dance music or the cheesiest pop you've ever heard.However,Mihai still does it for me.Cât de frumoasă eşti (You're so beautiful) is such a nice song,with what must be one of the longest notes in a pop song ever,(beaten only by Mihai himself in the song Why).


Slovakia: I love a good Pop Idol winner as you might have noticed.Peter Cmorik won Slovakian Idol in 2006,with a huge 84% of the vote apparantly.Čo to znamená (What does it mean?,that is the actual translation,not a request) is quite a good song,about people not having time for eachother.

Slovenia: Had to be this one really,the one and only Anžej Dežan and the theme tune for Sounds of Europe- Vroče!It's still by far the most played song on my iTunes (Cara Mia is a whole 50-something plays behind) and it still makes me happy every time I hear it.


Spain: Going to have to cheat here and post another Jonatan video.Well he is Spanish really...

Sweden: So many good Swedish songs to choose from,but I think I'll go for Måns's annoyingly gorgeous girlfriend,seeing as she has produced my favourite album in the world ever.This is Calling All Detectives,one of the slower ones from Enjoy the Ride,but a fabulous one all the same.

UK: I literally have 21 British songs on my iTunes (out of 1629),most of those being Leona Lewis's album.I just can't stand British music anymore,it's gone so far downhill since the early 2000s.So it's back to then we go,with the amazing a1 and Caught in the Middle.Never mind Take That and Boyzone,it should be these guys making a comeback!

No comments: