Monday 12 May 2008

WYM Eurovision Review Part 3

France: (50/1) My French translation exam was a BBC article about Divine- which was quite cool on one hand,but then again,I did have it in my head all the way through the exam...Is it old fashioned or is it incredibly modern and funky?I don't really know.But it is good- completely different to your normal French entry,although I was always a fan of the big ballads.I'm quite intrigued about what the performance will be like.It's such a funky,laid-back song,I have no idea what it will look like on stage.Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places,but I haven't really heard anything negative about this song,so hopefully it'll do quite well.
Lyrics- "They try to find the Milky Way,they love to drink it every day." OK...

Iceland (50/1) How is this 50/1? It's without a doubt the best song in the contest,and after seeing Euroband at the Scala,it's quite obvious the performance will be great too.However,as much as I want it to win,I don't think it will.If it doesn't even qualify from the semis though,I will not be happy!
Lyrics- "There's no denying all the heartaches were a blessing in diguise."

Portugal: (50/1) Mmm.It's alright.Nothing too special.Although I like Vania's earrings.
Lyrics- "Black waters,waves of sorrow,they froze the fire in my eyes."

Israel: (40/1) I didn't know this was written by Dana International.That's pretty cool.I don't really know what to think about this one,I like the music,it's quite atmospheric,but I don't like the vocals so much.Can we not just have Teapacks again?
Lyrics- "Come along come along,see the fire in your eyes,then you'll come with me."

Norway (33/1) This has really grown on me,probably again because I've seen Maria perform it live now.Still would have loved to have seen Zuma in Belgrade- Always Always is clearly a better song than Hold On Be Strong.But still,it's nice- a nice sentiment even though the lyrics might be a bit bland and repetitive.I think Maria will qualify.
Lyrics- "There's always someone out there who'll be there for you,there's always someone out there who will care for you."

Switzerland: (33/1) If this doesn't qualify,I'll be very sad.It seems to have lost a bit of popularity over the last few months,but it's still a great song.The whole plagiarism thing pissed me off slightly- yes,it quite clearly uses the same melody as Amy Diamond's song,whatever it was called,but why everyone seemed to be blaming Paolo for that,I have no idea.Of all the songs to copy,why would he knowingly choose one sung by some kid?I doubt he even knows who she is.And anyway,at least Era Stupendo does something with the melody,it's not a three and a half minute dirge like It Can Only Get Better.And at least the lyrics mean something.OK,maybe I'm biased because I detest Amy Diamond and child stars in general,but still.We have this plagiarism debate every year.It's getting boring now.Anyway,although I'm supporting Iceland now,I'd love it if Paolo won.
Lyrics- "There will be no peace as long as everyone thinks of himself."

Bosnia-Herzegovina: (25/1) I can't wait to see how well this will go down in Belgrade.I heard it properly for the first time at the Scala and was quite mesmerised by the performance.I think that's the right word...I like Laka as well,I loved the interview with esctoday.com from the other week where they asked him if he's a Eurovision fan- "Last year I watched Eurovision on mute with Radiohead playing over the top." We've tried it,it's very entertaining.Try Work Your Magic with Fake Plastic Trees- classic.
Lyrics- "How many days did we spend lying down,eating bananas?"

Bulgaria: (25/1) When she actually starts singing,I quite like this song.I hate the musical bits though.Deep Zone should stick to what they do best- kickarse remixes of Belarussian Eurovision songs.Maybe they'll do one of Hasta La Vista this year...
Lyrics- "When the night falls down I want you,DJ please take me away."

Latvia: (25/1) This year's Vampires Are Alive?I know the whole pirate thing is a bit naff,but the song is insanely catchy and fun,it really should qualify.I like Latvia,they're one country you could never accuse of being predictable- My Star,Questa Notte and now Wolves of the Sea...All completely different styles,but all great songs.
Lyrics- "We're robbing you blind,I hope you don't mind,we're taking it all tonight."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still cant get into the Norwegian song this year. Its alright, but its too bland for me. Still reminds me of Duffy though, so will probably do quite well.

Listened to Israel for the first time too. Do you know if it will be in english on the night. I hope not, sounds better as it is I think. Apparently, they did it like Georgia, and selected a song for the singer. And they had 450 songs sent in for consideration!

Raquelita said...

Wow that's mad.Yeah I think I'd like it more if it was someone else singing it...I don't know,I might be surprised on the night.
As for Norway,yeah it is a bit bland,I don't know why I like it.I think it's a good song,just not necessarily for Eurovision.There were definitely better songs in the national final.We'll see though.