Sunday 1 March 2009

ESC so far

So here's what I think of this years' ESC songs so far.Basically,not very much.


Albania: Very listenable (makes a change for Albania),I like the ethnic beat.Most of the time.Verdict- LIKE

Andorra: Potentially good song,but Susanna's voice is annoying and lets it down a lot.Verdict- DISLIKE

Armenia: Nice ethnic elements that aren't too overpowering,but what's left when you take them away is a very irritating song indeed.Verdict- HATE

Belarus: No words can tell you how disappointed I am with Belarus this year.This is awful.Verdict- HATE

Bulgaria: Starts very promisingly I think,I like the dance beat and the catchy chorus is always a plus.But it just gets worse.Verdict- DISLIKE

Croatia: Average run-of-the-mill Balkan ballad.Verdict- DISLIKE (but only because I love Croatia as a country.If I didn't,the verdict would be Hate :) )

Cyprus: This is ear abuse.It's tradition for me to hate Cyprus's ESC entries,but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this is one of the worst Eurovision songs ever.It really is terrible.The lyrics are stupid,Christina sounds bored and can't even hit the easiest notes...it just has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.Verdict- HATE.Possibly more than anything else in the world right now.Cyprus,I'll lend you my cat next year,better noises come out of him when he's upset.

Denmark: Niels seems to be trying to sound like Ronan.His voice doesn't always sound natural.But the song is OK,with an anthemic chorus.Definitely has potential.Verdict- LIKE (lots)

Finland: I'm struggling with this one.I absolutely love the chorus,more than I've loved any chorus in quite some time,but at the same time,I don't like the rap at all.And the middle 8 is rather bland.But there's no doubt it's one of the better songs this year.Verdict- LIKE

France: Ah,my actual home country for this year's ESC.If this was in any other language and for any other country,I'd hate it.Definitely.But as it's in French and sung by a French diva,it almost works.It's dark and moody,which I kinda like.Typical French I guess.It's certainly boring and a crazy choice for ESC I think,but I'm not convinced it will finish last or anything.Maybe second to last,but not last :) Verdict- we'll say LIKE for now.I don't hate it,that's for sure.

Georgia: Political or not political (I really don't care),to me this really sounds like something you'd hear in some ultra-trendy clothes shop.At least it would do without the vocals.Which are really not the best.And OMG as they say,what is that little breakdown bit about? :/ Verdict- DISLIKE (but I do like the music itself very much)

Germany: It's grown on me since I first posted it last month,despite my hating of this genre of music.It's well produced,catchy and Oscar is certainly rather charming.He has a lovely voice too.One of the better songs this year I think,but still average in comparison to normal years.Verdict- LIKE

Greece: "Ooh,it's Sakis" I thought,"it must be good".But no,it's Europop of the lowest common denominator.But Sakis is still lovely.Very lovely.So he'll get through :) Verdict- DISLIKE

Hungary: I think I prefer the Hungarian version,but either way it's still rather good.Zoltan (my favourite name ever)is rather nice,and he can certainly move.If the video is anything to go by,the performance on the night will be pretty good.I don't think it's good enough to win,but has definitely surpassed my expectations of Hungary about a million times.Verdict- LOVE

Iceland: After producing THE best song of last year,Iceland have completely disappointed me this time around.It's boring,but not even in an original boring way like France's song.Verdict- HATE

More later :)

No comments: