Wednesday 11 March 2009

In which WYM gets all political...or not

So Georgia have withdrawn from this years' ESC.Shame?Not really I don't think.As I mentioned the other week,I liked the music to their song,but overall,I found the whole thing quite annoying.After reading more about the whole debacle surrounding We Don't Wanna Put In,I'm glad they've been disqualified,although this opinion doesn't appear to be shared by a lot of other fans on ESCToday.

For my liking,there's far too much anti-Russian sentiment in Europe these days.I don't fully understand Georgian-Russian relations,and being as I don't live in either Georgia or Russia,I am in no position whatsoever to judge either country.So neither should anyone else be.But what I do think is that it would have been completely wrong for the EBU to let Georgia enter such a provocative song.It's clearly in the rules of ESC that songs with a blatant political message are forbidden,and so it should be.Eurovision is entertainment,not some arena for countries to take cheap shots at eachother.Of course,Georgia probably realised this anyway and probably expected to be disqualified.But for all these people whose comments I've read to say "it's restricting freedom of speech","it's censorship",and the good old "it's the EBU being bullied by Russia" (of course,because everyone knows all Russia wants is to become the supreme Eurovision winning nation and will achieve that by any means possible)- it's just rubbish.

Protest is a healthy thing,so if Stephane&3G want to perform We Don't Wanna Put In in Tbilisi,in the Red Square,in Victoria Station outside Boots,then good on them.But Eurovision is not the place to talk politics and should never be.As it says in the rules.As me and Keira were discussing last night,if one country entered an 8 minute song,people wouldn't be getting all angry and coming out with ridiculous comments when the EBU told them to cut it down.Because it's a rule,and all competitions have rules.

End of rant.

No comments: