Saturday 8 November 2008

It hurts when I hear your songs but can't be with you

Unanständig has appeared on this blog many a time.I love it but it was the only song of Philipp Poisel's that I had.However,mummy bought me his fabulous album Wo Fängt Dein Himmel An? (Where does your heaven begin) for my birthday and I can't stop listening to it.It's a bit Teitur-esque I suppose,although the music isn't quite as varied as Teitur's is on his albums.However,like Mr Lassen,it's all about the lyrics with Philipp.Now I realise most WYM readers probably don't speak/read German,and although I'm a translator (sort of anyway),it's always difficult translating songs to make them sound just as good in another language.So I'll just summarise where necessary :)

The title track isn't necessarily one of my favourites,I don't understand it too much either,but musically it would fit right in on Poetry and Aeroplanes I think.And I like the video too.



Irgendwann (Some day) is a gorgeous song musically and lyrically.It's about missing someone and not knowing when/if you'll see them again,but thinking about them all the time- "when I'm standing on the platform in the morning/when I look out the train window" etc etc.The best line though has to be "and when the wind blows northwards,that's when I miss you."Doesn't that just belong in a Russian pop song?!

Then there's Wie Du,which is where the post title comes from.It sounds like it could be on the soundtrack to some angsty teenage drama.He even says "Angst" in the chorus (which of course means "fear" in German,but anyway...)Again it's about missing someone,although I'm not quite sure whether that's because he's split up with her or just wants to be with her or what.

Unanständig is still one of my favourites,even more so now I know what it means.The first line "they ask you where you're from but never tell you anything about themselves" sums up life for a foreigner in northern Germany I think.I like the whole sentiment though- "we love eachother how we want to,let the people think what they want,let them see that I want to be "indecent" with you,do crazy things with you and kiss you whenever I want."*Sigh* If only life was so...

My favourite one of the minute though is Wer braucht schon Worte (Who needs Words),which is about getting to know someone briefly ("we shared our life for a few days and weeks") but them having an impact on you afterwards all the same.The point is that you might not know much about eachother and might not speak much ("I know your language but you don't know mine,I don't know your country and you don't know mine") but in the end "who needs words when you can kiss/have eyes to see/have hands to feel" und so weiter as we say over here :) Extra points for this song due to the fact he mentions the Baltic ("I never went to see you in your city on the Baltic coast,and you never came to see me...in Stuttgart") Well,why would she- Schleswig-Holstein is where it's at! Ugh,I'm such a militant northerner these days.Anyway,the song...

No comments: