Saturday 12 July 2008

Ich brauch dich nicht zum glücklich sein

Just a quick post to say I haven't disappeared- Actually I hadn't realised I hadn't posted for nearly 2 weeks.Then again I have been busy in Germany (which you will soon be able to read about over at Parlez-vous Europop?) and erm,dealing with a few other things shall we say.

When I was in Germany,I finally got round to buying Revolverheld's second album Chaostheorie.It's the re-released edition with Helden 2008 and Heimspiel on it.I haven't actually got round to listening to it yet,but I've certainly been enjoying the DVD of all their videos that came with it.In the past 3 years or so,I've been through a few phases of obsessing over the lovely boys from Hamburg (Johannes especially),and I think I might be about to do it all over again.Now I'm not normally a fan of German rock,or rock in general for that matter,but I think Revolverheld are a bit special.Maybe it's because the music sometimes verges more on the pop-rock side of things,and because the lyrics can be so meaningful yet not over the top,and because Johannes just has a great voice that's always full of emotion without being whiny like so many other singers these days.

Anyway,the first song of theirs I ever heard was Die Welt Steht Still ,which I still think is their best single to date.The chorus is so dramatic and contains very good use of strings :) I always wondered what the video had to do with the song but after reading the lyrics (3 years later) I get it.The girl's nearly dead,their relationship is nearly dead,and the world has stopped while he's telling her she needs to make a decision about them.Gotta love metaphors.

Then of course there's Freunde Bleiben ,which I have to mention just because Johannes looks so damn fit even when he's throwing a hissy fit and chainsaw-ing up his ex-girlfriend's flat.Sod going out with anyone as sensitive as him!Anyway,this song is rather special to me,for the sad reason that it provided me with lots of German grammatical help in an exam once :/

But not everything from the first album is about bitter breakups and stale relationships.Quite a lot of it is,but there are 2 other songs in particular that I really love.Superheld is about someone who loves themself a bit too much,and the chorus is great to sing along to.If you can keep up with it that is.Finally,there's Beste Zeit Deines Lebens (they only have 30 seconds of it on LastFm :( ) ,which is such a positive song (lyrics here) that it makes me just a little bit emotional sometimes :/

I hope there's at least a few great songs like these on Chaostheorie.When I finally get round to listening to it,I shall let you know :)

2 comments:

Keira said...

Funny you should mention Revolverheld - I've just spent the evening at a friends and he had guitar hero. You can guess how this ended up. Turns out I'm pretty rubbish at the game, but it was awesome, hehe.
Oh, and we did a bit of singstar rock (scorpions anyone?) - what a great night :)

Raquelita said...

I forgot to tell you actually,at that massive flea market in Kiel there was a big stall of second hand PS2 games- I didn't look though,would have been so disappointing to find Deutsch Pop Rock 2 months too late and for next to nothing!