Tuesday 12 May 2009

SF1

So,now I've calmed down a little bit after my double-sided excitement at getting all 10 qualifiers right AND my favourite boys from Bosnia getting through,I can write a bit about this evening.

Let's start with BiH though.It wasn't Davor's greatest vocal performance,but on the whole I thought it was great.I adore the military theme and they all looked fab in their outfits.And I still love the bit where they all stand together like revolutionaries about 2 and a half minutes in(well,they're "soldiers of love" according to Aleksander) with the flag and the wind machine.I hope the nerves don't get to Davor on Saturday.He's so confident in all the interviews I've seen,but they're one of the favourites (which still surprises me),so they must be feeling a bit of pressure.

Other musical highlights:


- La Voix was better than expected.After the rehearsals I'd written it off a bit,but it was OK.Malena seemed to enjoy it.
- Flor de Lis were great for Portugal.Now they really did enjoy it,that was obvious.And so they should have,it's a lovely song.The singer (can't remember her name :/) and the accordion player looked fabulous too.I want both of their outfits :)
- Andrea was super,it's a shame she didn't qualify.I loved her routine.So did my friend Emma back in Gillingham.So much so,she text me about it twice :)
- Waldo's People were good.Emphasis on the People rather than Waldo.But then you can't really have one without the other I suppose.Cool performance.
- Next Time from FYROM were better than I expected too.

General highlights:


- That stage is amazing.Elena from Romania's set was probably my favourite- the pink,flowery one.And Portugal's was cool too.
- Dimitry Shepelev
- Naff as it was,I loved the opening bit with the kids on the bird.The magic was kind of ruined though as soon as Andrey came on stage."HELLO EUROPE!!!!" That little girl will never hear again...
- Actually in some ways I did kind of like Andrey and Natalia.Mostly because they were so bad it was endearing I think.Especially the parking joke.
- The postcard bits.Although as Emma said- "why are they wearing countries on their heads?"
- The military band singing along to Tatu.It was so fabulous I have no more words to describe it :) Although I still prefer the Belarussian military band's version of Work Your Magic that they did at Eurofest last year.
- The Russian words/phrases before each song.Although it didn't go unnoticed that one of them was "skazka"- Fairytale.It's a fix- Norway will win!

General annoyances:

- Despite having the eurovision.tv stream on as well as the stream from a Belarussian TV channel on mute in the background in case of emergencies- the whole thing just stopped when Andorra came on and I didn't get either feed back until the end of Switzerland.Boo,they were one of my favourites too.
- Turkey qualifying because they're Turkey and it's written in the rules of ESC that they must qualify regardless of what pap they send.
- Armenia.Cool outfits,but that HAS to be the most annoying song in the world ever,surely?That chorus just gets me every time,I can't stand it.
- The fact that practically everything good was in tonight's show and we're left with all the chaff on Thursday.With the big exception of Zoli of course.Mmmm,Zoli...

Let's reconvene in 36-ish hours then shall we?

3 comments:

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

BiH - yes I liked the outfits too. Their performance will be great on Saturday I'm sure. Goosebumps guaranteed.

Portugal - utterly charming.

Montenegro - we wanted this to qualify for that "routine" alone! My mum said that the dancer was the most memorable thing about the whole evening!

Finland - phew! What a relief. And they've got a good draw in the final!

FYROM - now you know I like boys with big hair so I was quite disappointed this didn't qualify, for that reason alone.

Interval Act - what interval act? Us BBC3 viewers got interviews with other contestants instead :(

Andorra - no wonder your stream crashed! Pity you missed Switzerland, looked nice but his vocals were disappointing.

Turkey - dumb tack tack.

Armenia - outfits good, song bad.

Zoli - fingers crossed. Although I don't have him in my predictions list for the final, I want to be wrong and I will jump off my sofa and dance around my living room if he's in that list of qualifiers!!

Raquelita said...

No I don't think Zoli will qualify either,but I wouldn't mind my 100% prediction accuracy to come undone for him :) Anyway we need someone pretty to look at now Switzerland are out.I watched the performance on youtube last night- never realised how fit Adrian is...

Dumb tack tack! I'm so gonna think of that on Saturday every time she does the chorus.

It's strange,I listened to Bistra Voda about 86 times before bed last night,yet I still woke up with that bloody Armenian song in my head.It's dangerous.

Can't believe they didn't show the interval act on the BBC.Not that it was brilliant.Just what you'd expect from a Russian event broadcast worldwide I suppose.Military band doing Kalinka.But yeah,Tatu came on half way through and sang a bit of Not Gonna Get Us,with the military band providing backing vocals and swaying gently in the background.Was a pretty odd sight!

Oh,and yes- Dimitry Shepelev was the green room man.Gorgeous or what?! He looked like someone I met in Kiel at an EU trade fair thing.Only better because he has a sexy Russian accent :)

Hedgie said...

Zoli's wonderful! :-) But he's not helped by the ghastly costumes his troop's been given . . .