Sunday 11 May 2008

WYM Eurovision Review Part 2

Belgium: (80/1) My friend James described this song better than I ever could- "It conjures up an image of 3 crazy Belgian spinsters doing jazz hands. Prime spot on eurotrash." I think that's all that needs to be said really.
Lyrics- "O julissi na jalini,o julissi na jalini." Whatever.

Poland: (80/1) Quite a fabulous video,but like most Polish music,I just can't get into it.
Lyrics-"I'll let my heart show the way,oceans and mountains between us."

Albania (66/1) Yawn.There are good ballads and there are your typical boring ballads.I think this comes into the latter category unfortunately.It was the first ESC song of this year that I heard.I'm so glad they got better afterwards.
Lyrics- "The coldness of your voice fell on my heart,covering the last shelter of love."

Andorra: (66/1) One of my favourites,it's exactly what you want in a Eurovision song I think.It's happy (unlike a lot of this year's songs I think),catchy,and just the right amount of cheesy.It reminds me of Seventh Wonder,another song that I loved.I hope Gisela qualifies,it'd be a shame if she didn't,but then again there are crazy results from the semis every year (Anžej...)
Lyrics- "A simple song can bring back the past to remind me,now you're gone and all the good times behind me"

Finland: (66/1) I'm trying to think when Finland sent a song to Eurovision that I actually enjoyed...Nope,I don't think they ever have.Although Jari Sillanpää was quite amusing...Anyway,I don't really have anything to say about this song.Other than I don't get why this is tipped to do better than Ruslan? Madness.
Lyrics- "The world is cold,although there's maybe a place for warmth as well."

Georgia: (66/1)The words to Peace Will Come were written by Karen Kavaleryan,who also wrote Work Your Magic.Top bloke then.Although this is a pretty boring song all round.Nice sentiment I guess,but not really for me.Shame,seeing as Sopho was so good last year.
Lyrics- "Sometimes words kill faster than bullets do,but the face of war is never true." Yep,true I suppose,but still,is it really Eurovision material?

Germany: (66/1) Was it No Angels who did a cover of You Can't Hurry Love back in about 2003?I really liked that.Anyway,I can't really say the same for this one though,it's alright,but not exactly memorable.
Lyrics-"Best time of my life,now it's washed away.Still the stars,they know how to spell your name." God,this year's songs are all so happy aren't they?

Malta: (66/1) I like this one a lot more since we saw Morena at the Scala.I think she'll do well,she'll definitely qualify...Also,top marks for sense of style,I loved her outfit at the Scala :)
Lyrics- "The hunt it still on here in Gorky Park.I'm in the danger zone,everywhere is pitch dark."

UK: (66/1) One of the best songs we've sent in years I think.Definitely the best one from the National Final (even though admittedly I did only see about 30 seconds of all of the others).Oh,and far better than Scooch as well :)
Lyrics- "Even if all words lost their meaning,you would understand I love you." Ooh,a happy song...

Azerbaijan: (50/1) Another debuting country (is debuting a word?).It's like a hybrid of Vampires Are Alive and Mr Nobody.I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing or not yet.Still,it's not what I expected from the Azeris.Thought it'd be a big ethnic ballad,so I was pleasantly surprised.
Lyrics- "You can feel me in your mind with every breath you take"

Denmark: (50/1) Mmm.I'm completely indifferent to this one.I definitely don't like it,but then I don't hate it either.Would rather it didn't qualify seeing as there's quite a few others I like in the second semi.But then I suppose I wouldn't be too bothered if it did.There,isn't that the most inconclusive review of a song you've ever read?Anyway,Denmark would have to do quite a lot to create an entry more fabulous than DQ's.
Lyrics- "If your life is a sad song,maybe you should try and celebrate it." Yeah,great advice Simon.

No comments: